What’s in a Name?

I mentioned in an earlier post several of the aliases that Zoe had (Zo-Zo, Z-Girl, Z-Queen and Mrs. VelevetEars were the most used) and Dudley has his own alternate identities. Dudley C., which is short for Dudley Clark after my dad, who was not the least bit flattered to share his name with his granddog; Dudrow;  Ginger Snap, Studly Dudley; Studly D ; and his rapper and DJ handles, JamMaster D and The Cinnamon Love Muffin. Together, Dudley and Zoe were known as Lord and Lady Yaksalot whenever they found some exotic snack in the backyard that later made its way onto one of my rugs — usually just inches from tile or hardwood floor. Now that Zoe is gone, Dudley doesn’t yak like he used to, but he is a gassy fella and has earned the name of Sir Fartsalot. They are rarely silent, but almost always deadly!

Dudley & Zoe

Dudley & Zoe

I didn’t name Dudley, the folks at Independent Animal Rescue did when they rescued all of the animals from one particular shelter in Rocky Mt. after the flood from Hurricane Floyd. I didn’t want to confuse him by changing his name again and Dudley seemed to suit him. In recent history, the most popular dog names have been Max, Bella, Bailey, Molly and Lucy; although, in 2011 Daisy and Buddy replaced Molly and Bailey in the top 5. Max and Lucy are also among the five most popular names for cats. Zoe has become a popular name for dogs, but it’s spelled “Zoey.” Zoe has also become a popular name for baby girls born in the past few years, it comes from the Greek for “life.”

Dog names sometime reflect popular culture, the most popular name for Dachshunds is still Oscar (Mayer seems to get the short shrift in this canine nom de guerre); but Ally McBeagle, Vera Fang and Jimmy Chew are playful twists on a television character and fashion designers. Cruising some rescue web sites, I have seen a Kanye and a Pippa. Pippa the dog was actually part German Shepherd, but she had a regal bearing that Pippa Middleton would surely covet.

I want to know the names of your pets or other people’s pets who you love and if there is a story behind the name. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so I am taking a page from my friend Kelley, who writes a wonderful food blog, and will put the name of everyone who comments about their pets’ name into a drawing for a $25 gift card to either Amazon or Target (winner’s choice).  I’ll leave this open for a few weeks in hopes of getting bunches of comments.

Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage.  ~Agnes Repplier

About Shoeful of Drool

I lived with a golden retriever/German shepherd mix named Dudley. Dudley was a rescue from Hurricane Floyd and he lived with me from October 1999 until he passed away in December 2012. In January 2001, Zoe a black & tan hound mix came to live with us until she died in June 2011. I truly believe having dogs has made me a better person. Every single day these dogs still give me something to laugh about and I hope by sharing these stories you can laugh, too.

16 Responses to What’s in a Name?

• You and Z-Kitty are now officially entered in the drawing. Zennie needs a new bag of ‘nip!

• Nancy Catalano Dill says:

Zen came from a shelter near my sister’s home in the Harrisburg area. She needed me to rescue her from the other kitties beating her up so she could have a full post-op recovery, but I needed her more. Of course, we all know that Zen has the spirit and serenity of the dalai lama. She sure did inspire some Zen in my awful frame of mind and came to me at just the right time. I truly believe she did save me from my torture and angst. She does look more like a buddha statue than the dalai lama when sitting and gazing with her piercing and huge blue eyes…. She’s my girl!

1. Pat Trempus says:

As you know my cats have come to me by patients except for the last one; her name is FiFi LaFume; she looks just like the cat from the old Pepe LaPew cartoons–big fluffy tail and all; her tail is as big as her body is; all black and long silky fur; I am sorely tempted to get some white out and put a stripe on her tail; Bille, my next youngest, is named after my Mother and she is the one who gives me kisses and licks every night; I love all my girls–Jade and Cheyenne are the diva and queen of the group though.
    Pat

• I didn’t know your mom’s name was Billie. You should’ve seen my dad’s eyes roll when I told him Dudley’s middle name was Clark, he was not a dog lover. He did have a cat for several years though. He just called her Cat or El Gato.

2. My dad named our first dog, a wonderful and sweet Dachshund, “Adolph” after Sonny Jurgensen, the former Redskin QB. Sonny’s full name is Christian Adolph Jurgensen III, and Adolph’s AKC name was Adolph Chrisitian Jurgensen Griner.

3. Rose says:

Our lovely dog Ursa was named by my husband, Steve. He found her at 5 weeks of age hanging out on a county road in Wilton, NC. She looked like a little black bear, so she was named after Ursa Major, the bear constellation, And I do believe the name fit her perfect!

• Urs was a beauty and I do seem to recall another name you had for the pup from Wilton. I hope she met Zoe and they’re playing and doing dog things together.

• vicki says:

My “baby” is Tonka, a lab/great dane mix. He came from the Rescue with that name which I think is perfect. I’m not sure if he’s name after Tonka toys (ironic) since he weighed in at 133 pounds before his surgery! Or TaTanka in Lakota which means buffalo. Tonka in Sioux means big or great. I usually call him “TonkaDog” or “my best one”. My Border Collie is named Katy, also a rescue name. If I had named her it would be Turbo as she is always revved and ready to go all out. She’s also KatyGirl and “little girl” as well.

• Jiminy, I think Melissa’s Sherman topped out at 120 lbs back in the days when Mom fed him whatever he wanted. I bet Tonka takes you for nice walks! I tend to always add “Girl” onto the name of a female dog, I call my neighbors’ dog KenzieGirl. Did Lisa get Cletus? I think that is just one of the greatest name for a dog I’ve ever heard. I tried to get this posted before she left because I know she usually reads it, but I’m going to leave it open for a few more weeks so I can get lots of comments, so maybe she’ll see it when she gets home.

4. Fran says:

I’ve had many cats in my lifetime but none compared to my sweet departed Tangie. I rescued my “no name” cat from the Animal Shelter in El Paso, TX. She was identified as a “Japanese Calico Persian Manx” on the tag on her cage. I have no idea what made her Japanese, but the Calico, Persian and Manx certainly was evident. My very first cat was a Manx and I was alway so pleased that I never had to worry about stepping on his tail. With two small children, I figured that this would be a wonderful trait to have in her defense. She was the only cat of over 20 in cages that didn’t hiss, spit, howl or swat at me when I attempted to make conversation, so she was my pick. I left, brought back the kids and asked if they approved of my pick. I plopped down my $25, got my gift certificate for a free spay when she was old enough and we brought home our newest member of the family. Now, what to name her? I was an avid Guiding Light soap opera fan, and at that time, there was a character on the show named Tangie. I thought it was a very weird name for a person, but I got to thinking of the beautiful colors in my cat’s coat and that specific shade of orange that resembled the color of a tangerine was proof enough for me that I could call her Tangie and not think it a weird name at all. She went by Tangereeny, Miss Poopsalot, SneakyPete, and a host of others that came to mind at the moment. She was the BEST pet anyone could ask for! My heart broke the day that we had to say good-bye to her. I held her in my arms as she took her last breath knowing full well that the 18 years of her life with us were the best she was ever going to have and now she sits on my mantle above the TV as a constant reminder that she waits for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

5. judy says:

Well here is the scoop on my two pooches. I have a fifteen year old little prissy shitzu/toypoodle mix. I was going to name her Chloe and broadcast that fact all over the nail salon only to find out someone else grabbed that name after I mentioned it..ticked me off and Chloe became Cleo. Now my second little guy is 3 and same mix. I went with a friend to purchase a dog for him and while there saw this little black ball of fluff and couldn’t resist him. My friend already had a Corgi named Stewie, he decided to name his new morkie Rupert, so with my little bunch of black fluff how could I resist the name Cleveland? We still have a few names from Family Guy left but I am outta room right now for pooches 🙂

• I’ve seen pictures of your dogs, they are adorable! I love that the dog on Family Guy is named Brian, such an undoglike name. Former VP Cheney named his dog Dave which I always thought was a cool name for a dog.

6. Lisa says:

While 3 dogs have lived at my house for the last 18 months I can only claim one as the other two are just “visiting”. My dog, Charley, was named when she came to live with us 5 years ago. Like Lucky and Sadie (already named when we got them) she was just “visiting” while awaiting her forever home, but since she’s been here over 5 years I guess I can call her ours.

She was named Charley because I wanted her to know that she was not the Alpha dog, as that rank was bestowed upon our departed friend Julie, a.k.a. Julie-chew (because she chewed most of my favorite things), or Funsucker Chew (because when she got old she got crabby and couldn’t stand the other dogs having a good time). Charley also needed to know that she would not be the Bravo dog, as that rank was occupied by our beloved and all-time favorite furry friend Jax, a.k.a. Jaxbuddy, Sweetpea, or as my son affectionately called him, “Freak Show”. Poor guy was covered in fatty tumors. Incidentally, Cletus is going to be the Jaxbuddy replacement unit whenever he finds us.

Charley was third in line and needed to be reminded of that as she was always trying to dominate the old, frail, arthritic and hard of hearing alpha and bravo dogs. But Charley eventually became Chuck, because I liked to say, “What’s up Chuck?”, and that turned into Chickenshit Chuck as she’s spent her entire life hiding behind the couch. Recently I’ve starting calling her Chucky-poo as finally, after 5 long years, she is starting to come out of her shell and develop a personality. Her former owners tried to beat it out of her; I’m glad they didn’t succeed.

• Great stories! I call Dudley Sweetpea sometimes, too and I call him Booger ALL the time and didn’t even think about that when I wrote this post. You know, I think I might have worked with a girl named Julie Chew at some point in my life. Sorry you missed the drawing, I know you’ve been traveling, but I’ll have another drawing soon. Nancy Dill in the Big E won the gift card.